Forum » Build Threads » 1995 Ford Probe GT Turbo KL

1995 Ford Probe GT Turbo KL

Build Threads

Keep everyone up to date with how your project is coming along. 

= Resolved threads

Page 1
Author

Didn't see any build threads here yet so figured I'd start one.

Over the last month or so I spent a lot of time building my friends "dream car" as we worked on the car together.

Well this winter we finally got all of the pieces to put his car together so we got cranking away after many years of talking about it

We have a huge album which I'll link here first so you can browse through all of the photos but I'll put some of the highlights out and put them below in case you don't want to dig through +100 pictures)

[FULL ALBUM]

Here is the KLDE motor that was built

[K1 Rods]

[CP Pistons]

[Heads with +1mm Ferrea titanium valve train]

This motor also has a set of Colt Cams with their Turbo Tri-Flow grinds but we didn't take a picture of it as I was busying putting it together

We also have a built transmission that took forever to show up but once it did it was the catalyst to get this project under way as it was one of the biggest pieces were were waiting on.

[PAR Gearset]

He already had a Probe running on an ebay turbo setup that was a blast to drive but we had always had plans to build a street/strip car

[Probe when he bought it]

[Turbo setup on the car with modified Honda fuel rails and LS injectors]

After all of the pieces were ready to go my friend and I set out to put the entire car together. We started pulling apart the stock motor setup and when we looked at the engine harness we found a lot of random/cut wires that made it a huge mess so we decided to clean it up for the meantime before we build our real harness down the road.

[Harness when we started]

[Cleaned up]

Once that was done we put in the motor ([made a manual timing belt tensioner and put in a Gates belt]) and transmission (was still waiting on the race clutch so we just used another one we had laying around so we could get starting on fabrication)

Here is where the fun started:

[Custom merge collector for the hot side]

[Moving hard lines for fuel]

[Added an oil accumulator in the back seat so added bulkheads into the firewall for oil/powerl]

[Oil Filter Relocator] & [cooler]

[Had to make our own lower radiator support]

[Added some tabs to the intercooler to mount to our new lower rad support]

[Backside of IC]

[Made a custom subframe cradle - side]

[Cradle - front]

[Pie cuts for days]

[Here is a video of the downpipe]

[Added traction bars to our subframe connector]

[Front motor mount]

[Had to make a custom AN fitting for clearances - nothing a welder can't fix]

[Finished up the cold side]

[Clutch showed up finally so the motor and transmission came back out, thankfully with this new setup, it takes like...30-45minutes tops with 2 people]

[Powder coated all the accessories]

[Accumulator plumbed in]

My friend and I worked together Sun-Wed on midnight shift for 4 weeks, we somehow managed to get 250hrs in 18 days because he had a long drive every week to get from his hometown to his dads where the car was stored. It was a lot of days with zero sleep and there were some times we were had the collective brain power of mashed potatoes but we finally made it to the moment of truth!

[FIRST START!]

[Dream finally coming together]

So this is where we are right now but we still have a lot of work to do.

To do list still:

-Our first thing is break in the rings on this new motor with the road tune we put together

-Custom wiring harness that takes out of a lot of the unnecessary components as well as adding in some new stuff like COP.

-Shaving the engine bay (taking out ABS and routing the hard lines inside the firewall to clean it up).

-Lastly, we're going to finish building my custom intake and we're tossing in bigger injectors which we'll add in a fuel cell, fuel lines and bigger fuel pump then we're off to the dyno for a real tune and some numbers.

-Paint will be absolutely last, going for some dark grey but haven't decided yet.

The car runs and drives now, the clutch surprisingly isn't an on/off switch like we thought it was going to be and even though this turbo is huge it starts to spool super quick but we're going from 8psi on the original setup to the 25psi range down the road so we'll see how it does.

Looking great Tim, there’s a bunch of hours in that I’m sure, thanks for sharing the build.

Great work! Keep the updates coming