Forum » General Discussion » 304 vs 316 Tubing

304 vs 316 Tubing

General Discussion

Discuss all things motorsport fabrication in this section. News, products, problems and results....

= Resolved threads

Page 1
Author

Hey, Just wondering on what your thoughts are on Stainless 304 vs 316 (or other grades) Tubing in Intercooler, exhaust manifolds and exhaust applications?

Is 316 worth the added cost?

What are the pro / cons of each for each application?

Thanks!

Hi Clint.

In the majority (if not all) of automotive applications 304 is fine, 316 has elements that fend off corrosion for food manufacturing and medical treatment plumbing. Sometimes I use 316 stainless as there are more bends available from my local Reece plumbing supplies and the quality is amazing.

How about coloring or holding its clean "chrome" polished color. I had done a system on my Torana and was just using bits of what I had left at the workshop not taking notice of its 304 or 316...

Months later sections of the exhaust have turned a goldish sheen while others have stayed silver. Sections right next to each other (same temperature) if it was sections up close to the motor id just put it down to heat but I was thinking maybe some bits were 304 and some 316?