Forum » Motorsport Fabrication Fundamentals » Tube bender

Tube bender

Motorsport Fabrication Fundamentals

Discussion and questions related to the course Motorsport Fabrication Fundamentals

= Resolved threads

Page 1

Hi I was wondering where I would get a tube bender from? Cheers

Me 2. I have one, thats not at all awsome:

It tends to kink the pipes and is a B*** to work with. Im looking to build one, but haven't really figured out how to make one that works right and without overengineering it with hydraulics and stuff. Also, i have limited workshop space, so it needs to be something i can stow away.

Thanks man :)

Hi Steve,

I just uploaded Nigels own plans for creating one yourself underneath the tube bender module. Hope this helps :)

Thank you :)

where can i find this? i'm looking for the tube bender plans?

thanks! kyle

Found it!

are there drawings for the dies?

Sorry, kyle

Intrested in what for dies are used too.

Shall they be the same as these?

Two basic types, of pipe benders.

The first is the type that uses a centre ram to pushagainst themiddle of a pipe restrained by two stops. best used for thick wall pipe, rather than thinner tube, it can distort and collapse the centre of the bend. If you have to use this type, there's an old school trick that can help - put a bung/plug into one end (tap a cup type frost/core/casting plug into the end, just far enough so it doesn't fall out if you don't have a plug. Weld a bolt onto it so you have something to pull on for removal, makes it easier), fill the pipe with sand, tapping it so it compacts nicely, and plug into the other end to prevent spillage. The sand doesn't compress easily and gives the pipe wall some much needed support. Remove plugs and drain sand for re-use. There are special alloys that melt a little above room temperature, gallium based I believe, that work even better as they are solid during the bend, but $$$s. It can also be difficult to correctly place the bends as you have to figure out the correct centre position for the bender.

The second type holds the pipe at one end of the bend and forms the curve from there. There is a lot less chance of collapsing the bend - even with thin wall - as the pipe is supporded through the full bend, placement of the bend is easy, as is aligning the bends, and they can be placed very close together. It may struggle with thicker wall pipes - especially if manually operated, and the manual type will also need to be fixed securely in place.

Both types can be obtained with battery or mains powered pumps.

I don't currently have one, but given the choice I would use the latter type with an electric pump with foot control - easier to use, can be easily repositioned and easy to line up pipe work and, if required, sopport the workpiece while bending.

Ive been looking into a tube bender the last couple of weeks and discovering Nigel's plans has opened me up for more questions