Forum » Off Topic Discussion » Best budget Tig welder 2020?

Best budget Tig welder 2020?

Off Topic Discussion

If it's not really about Fabricating in motorsport. Then it belongs in here.

= Resolved threads

Page 1
Author

I was inquiring which would be the best go to welder for maybe some at home fabrication. Maybe a few exhaust manifold/ intercooler piping. Maybe roll cage down the road. I was thinking of getting a Hobart 165i. Something in that price range.

No specific recommendations, partly because our markets are so different, but some things to bear in mind. What must it have, what do you not need, what would be nice but not essential - making up a 3 column list will help.

That said, what is the thickest material you are realistically going to need to handle? What materials - mild steel, stainless steel, aluminum, titanium? What reputation does the company/retailer have?

Some welder manufacturers use propriarory parts - you HAVE to use their cables, hand-pieces, etc whereas others use standardised parts that allow you to change for better/more comfortable anciliaries that can be carried on to another brand when moving up.

Lastly, 'cheap' isn't cheap if it doesn't do what you need it to do.

if you haven't much experience with TIG, or other welding techniques, I'd suggest night-classes or a training course

I'm not entirely sure what thickest metal I will be welding but I have done some research today and found what welder I'm interested in. I have experience as I have taken classes in highschool but I had only but maybe 3 months of Tig and it was aluminum welding. I believe it was a miller but unsure of the model